The Ogun State Police Command has confirmed that the driver of the Lexus SUV involved in the fatal road accident carrying former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua has been taken into custody.
The crash occurred on Monday morning along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway, near Danco, when the SUV reportedly collided with a stationary truck.
Join The Lagos Voice on WhatsApp
Follow us for the Latest News, Entertainment, Politics, Sports, Youths and Grassroots updates, delivered fast and verified on WhatsApp!
🔗 Join Our ChannelDriver Identified, Investigation Ongoing
Police and family sources identified the driver as Kayode Adeniyi, 47, said to be a long-serving member of Joshua’s Nigerian logistics team.
A police source, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to lack of authorization, confirmed the identity of the driver.
“Kayode Adeniyi, 47, is a long-time member of Joshua’s Nigerian logistics team,” the source said.
The Lexus SUV, bearing registration number KRD 850 HN, was involved in the collision at approximately 11:00 a.m.
On Thursday, Ogun State Police spokesperson Oluseyi Babaseyi confirmed Adeniyi’s detention.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow The Lagos Voice on WhatsApp channel for latest updates
“The driver of the Lexus SUV in connection with the Anthony Joshua accident case is currently in custody. Investigations are ongoing,” Babaseyi said.
A source close to the family revealed that Adeniyi was reportedly in a coma shortly after the crash.
“His logistics are always arranged for him whenever he is in the country,” the source added.
Meanwhile, a joint statement issued on Wednesday by the Lagos and Ogun State Governments confirmed that Anthony Joshua had been discharged from Lagoon Hospital, Ikoyi, after doctors certified him fit to continue recovery at home.
The statement was signed by Kayode Akinmade, Special Adviser to the Ogun State Governor, and Gbenga Omotosho, Lagos State Commissioner for Information.

